Monday, January 19, 2015

Seven Layer Bean Dip

Greetings from South Florida! I’m here at home spending some time with my family and doing some work for next months posts.


Today’s recipe is so quick and easy and requires hardly any measurements! This is a true dump cook recipe! One of the greatest things about this recipe is that you can customize every layer to your own personal tastes.

Remember, in dump cooking there is no right or wrong. Just delicious and divine! 





Seven Layer Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

My suggested list of ingredients is as follows: 

Lettuce
Refried beans (I use dehydrated) 
Guacamole 
Sour cream
Salsa (I use Herdez canned salsa)
Black olives
Green onions
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pepperochini or sliced jalapeño 

You can use any variation of these ingredients. For today’s recipe I just used what was on hand in my Mom’s pantry.

I personally use dehydrated refried beans (they are so good!) to make the base layer of my dip. In order to rehydrate them I start by taking the salsa and drain it into a measuring cup. I used a 7oz can of Herdez salsa and got ¼ cup liquid from my can.

When using dehydrated refired beans the ratio of liquid to beans is 1 to 1. So if you want to use 1 cup of beans, you need 1 cup of liquids. I wanted to use ¾ cup beans, so I added ½ cup of water to the liquid from my salsa so I had ¾ cups of liquid.

Once you know your liquid/bean ratio, you can dump the salsa and liquid into a small pot. I like to add in taco seasonings to the liquid to give it even more flavor. You could go as simple as a taco-seasoning packet (only use enough to add a little flavor, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the packet) but I like to just use a custom blend of whatever sounds good at the moment. Minced garlic, onion powder, oregano, ground cumin, would all be excellent choices.



Once you’ve added your flavor oomph, bring it all to a boil and add in your beans. Turn the heat off and stir it just to make sure all the beans are coated in the liquid so they can soften. Let it stand for about 10-15 minutes.

You can also just use canned refried beans, but the dehydrated are so much better!

Once the bean layer has cooled a little bit you can turn it into the bottom of your serving dish. I like to use a glass bowl so you can see all the delicious layers.




Next I added the guacamole, sour cream and then cheese. I topped mine with shredded lettuce, pickled jalapeno, and green onions. After the bean layer goes down you can really do anything you want in any order. But I recommend doing all your heavier items first like the sour cream and guacamole, and then adding all the other stuff on top.

Serve with your favorite corn chips. 



Hope you guys enjoy todays installment of appetizers. Happy Eating! 

2 comments:

  1. I could eat seven layer dip, all day, every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like beans at all when I was growing up but I love this recipe! Tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete