Sunday, February 1, 2015

Breads and Spreads


This month on the blog I am going to be sharing my favorite breads and spreads. As this is the month of love what better way to show you care than to give someone special a loaf of warm goodness?

A lot of times baking bread can seem like a daunting task for an unexperienced baker. But with a few cardinal rules you will realize that baking your own bread is easy and not nearly as scary as some might think! I learned a lot about baking from my Mom growing up. She baked everything from sourdough cinnamon rolls, to baguettes, to pizza dough, to fancy wedding cakes for friends.

When I got to college I decided I wanted one of my minors to be Culinary Arts and one of my favorite classes I took was Baking. If you are ever looking for a great book, full of every type of bread recipe you could ever want to know I suggest Wayne Gisslen's Professional Baking book. I have the 5th edition, and it is like the bible of baking.



Bread is a really versatile tool in so many ways in the kitchen. You can turn stale bread into bread pudding, eat it plain, with butter, or make it the star of your meal.

Most all breads have the same basic chemical makeup: flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water.

One of the great things about bread is that you can add so many different ingredients to completely transform your dough into something new. From nuts, to fruit, to coca powder and peanut butter. Bread is one of the most versatile foods you can learn to make. There are literally endless possibilities.

Spreads are similar, I like to just dump in what sounds good based on the type of bread I'm eating, or even what time of day I'm eating it! From frosting, to flavored butter, to garlic and cheese, there is a spread for every bread.

I hope you enjoy this months recipes, they are some of my favorite!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment